October 2, 2010

Cameron's 5th Birthday

It's a busy weekend, 3 cakes to get done. One of the cakes was for Cameron, who is the grandson of my dear friend, Pat. She wanted to do something special for her little pride and joy on his 5th birthday.  She told me that Cameron just loved dirt bikes and especially ATVs. 
I made a double layer chocolate fudge cake, as chocolate is Cameron's favourite, and a simple vanilla butter cream filling with mini chocolate chips. Sound familiar, this flavour seems to be a hit with the little ones. 
Have a look at what I came up with;






I started off by buying a couple little ATVs at Walmart.  This way Cameron has a memento of his birthday cake and a couple of new toys to play with. 
After I filled the cake I did a little carving. Nothing much, I just wanted to make the cake look like rough terrain.  The pieces I cut off here and there I simply applied to different parts on top of the cake and I even dug out a small hole where the centre curve of the 5 would be for my pond.  Then I crumb coated it and covered it in green fondant.  When I finished covering the cake I stepped back to take a look and  it appeared like there were hills and valleys, which is what I was trying to achieve.  I cut out a # 5 out of brown fondant and to use for my road. I have to admit I got this idea from a cake I saw on line, but I changed ti to make it my own. Now since it's suppose to be a dirt road I covered the 5 with crushed choc chip cookies.  Choc chip cookies worked well because of the variation in colour due to the chips.  I had made the rocks ahead of time from gum paste/fondant mixed. The trees are made from fondant and the bushes are small pieces of fondant with piped icing.  I had so much fun making this cake. 
When Pat came by earlier today to pick up the cake she brought Cameron along with her.  The best part of making cakes is seeing the faces of the people picking them up especially the little ones.  Cameron's comment said it all for me "WOW, it's so cool!"  He couldn't wait to go home and eat his cake.

                                    

Well Cameron you made my day.  I wish you the happiest of birthdays!

No comments:

Post a Comment