November 9, 2014

Sebastian's Christening

This week end was super busy as we had another celebration to attend today. My wonderful nephew David and his beautiful wife Sabrina christened their third child Sebastian today.  It is always a pleasure and very special to me to be able to make a cake for family and someone so dear as Sebastian.  When I was asked to make Sebastian's cake I was told the flavor; chocolate Guinness with white chocolate mousse filling and as for the design it was entirely up to me as long as it had some blue on it.  But when I received the invitation the lights came on and I knew exactly what I was going to do with the design.


This darling 3 tiered cake is made up of 10, 8 and 6" cakes.  The cross, the sleeping baby and the name plaque on the top tiers are all made of gum paste.  All other details are made in fondant. Here is a picture of the invite that inspired the design;

 
I chose the middle tier to apply the silver/grey chevron design.  Done in fondant was a little trickier than I expected, but thanks to Jessica Harris's wonderful tutorial on wax paper transfers I managed to get it done. But now I know why she uses modeling chocolate as opposed to fondant for these tricky details.
 

On the bottom and top tier I pulled in the design of the blue band with the white polka dots and added a blue bow at the bottom and a name plate which is similar in shape on the invitation holding the celebration info.



I topped the cake with my favorite little sleeping baby done in gum paste. With a little blue fondant blanket sleeping at the base of a gum paste cross.  The rosary is done in blue fondant pearls with added silver sugar pearls.


It was a wonderful celebration, with great food, great family and friends and we are so happy to have Sebastian as part of our family. 


And here is the little darling propped up in his chair. He was such a good little trooper and didn't seem to mind all the attention.  We love you little one. 

God Bless Sebastian!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment