November 20, 2010

50 and still sexy!

Well it's been a while since I last posted anything.  I just finished putting together a cake for my sister-in-law's 50th birthday party tonight.  She doesn't know anything about the party since it's a surprise party, I'm not worried about her finding out by reading my blog since she's one of the last few without a computer. Her boyfriend asked me a couple of weeks ago if I'd make her a birthday cake and if you know me at all you know I would say definitely I would make Susie a cake.  I've always wanted to try making a gum paste shoe so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity.  Here's a picture of my 1st gum paste shoe still in the drying stages;

Not bad for my 1st try.......I had a little trouble with the heal but all in all it turned out okay.  I used this as the inspiration for Susie's 50th birthday cake.  So what goes with a shoe?  A shoe box perhaps and possibly a handbag or clutch?  Then a few tweaks here and there, add a little bling and you've got yourself a themed birthday cake.  Here's a picture of the completed cake;




I think it turned out pretty.  I hadn't made a rose in a while so I thought hey gotta practice, and voila....I haven't lost my touch. Call me crazy but I love making roses.  So I decided to use them on Susie's cake, I topped the shoe box off with a bow, added a nice big "50" just in case someone didn't know her age, a butterfly here and there........not bad.  Though I know there are mistakes I made.  I thought the handbag would give me problems, oh noooooo, damn...the shoe box did! Couldn't get it smooth for the life of me, go figure....straight edges and all but not to worry a little deco on the box here and there helps hide those little booboos.  But damn I know they're there!!!!!! 
On to the good stuff, the cakes.  The shoe box is a red velvet cake with a butter cream cheese filling spiked with a little Bailey's Irish Cream, yum! Can't wait to have a piece of that tonight. The hand bag is a vanilla pound cake with strawberry jam topped with cream cheese filling, oooh!   The handbag is covered with black fondant which I imprinted with a flower pattern, the handle is fondant balls strung on wire. And if you look close, the clasp on the handbag is an "S" for Susie. The shoe box is covered in hot pink and black fondant and a little spray of edible glitter adds a little sparkle. Here's a close up of one of my roses & the bow;


All in all I think Susie will be thrilled with the cake.  Well gotta go get ready for the party tonight.....gonna have some fun.  Welcome to the fifties club Sue, LOL.  Happy Birthday and many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment