December 28, 2011

Santa's cup of cocoa

Every year it has become tradition that we spend Christmas Eve with hubby's family, we take turns hosting, and this year was at my sister-in-law Dona's place.  Great food, great company, great time. Christmas morning is brunch with my kids and grand kids at my place, (minus Mandy & Jon, last yr and this yr, but soon to be back) then a quiet day with hubby while the kids are off to visit in-laws.  Boxing Day which we dubbed "Boxmas" we spend with my side of the family, my sister, my brother and my 2 nephews and my niece-in-laws and great nephews,  with again great food, great company and a great time and always too much food over the course of 3 days!  I love Christmas!
Since the inception of MaryMel Cakes it's almost a given that a cake is in order to complete our Christmas celebrations.
This year browsing through the web I came across a very talented lady here in Ontario from Doodle Cakes. Her work is fun and very creative. I liked one of her Christmas creations and decided to try it out for Christmas Eve. I just modified it slightly.


Santa soaking in a hot mug of cocoa. The mug is made of 9" choc Guinness cake layered with vanilla mousse and choc ganache. Covered in fondant and the cocoa in the mug is also choc ganache.Santa is made from a mix of fondant/tylose. The steam is also a mix of fondant/tylose but next time I think I'll use gum paste for these as gum paste holds up better.


The cake went over well after dinner and was delicious if I do say so myself and so did everybody there think so.

Now for "Boxmas" we decided to get a little more creative on our own.  The cake we came up with reminded me of a "Sleeping Santa" that I bought for my Dad many years ago, only Santa was in bed and actually snored, very cute, my Dad loved that Santa. I had told him it reminded me of him.

Here Santa's napping after a long night's work;



On his couch, didn't make it to bed, poor Santa.  The back of the couch and the arm rests are made from Choc Guinness cake and the seat is vanilla cake both filled with cream cheese filling.  Santa's sack is a choc Guinness cupcake wrapped in fondant. Like the previous Santa, this Santa is also made from a mix of fondant/tylose. The tree is fondant wrapped around an ice cream cone and embellished with dragees and non edible crystals.




With all the hard work Santa did he seems to have put a hole in sock, Mrs Claus has a little mending to do, lol.


A job well done Santa!  You deserve the rest, see you next year!  Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment